I grew up in a very multicultural area of London. My family were fairly ordinary but my mother and sister were fussy eaters. That is why today, one of my specialist areas is around fussy eating in adults.
From there I went to study Architecture at Oxford Brookes University and eventually found myself in publishing. worked in advertising and marketing for a variety of publications including AutoTrader, The Oxford Times, Northcliff Newspapers and iDJ magazine.
In 1995, I became interested in the internet and started developing websites and e-commerce sites. Then the “dot com bubble burst” and along with many other co-workers I was under an enormous amount of stress.
This left me with a phobia of driving. There had been many near misses and she felt completely unable to drive and often had panic attacks. I tried analytical hypnotherapy first but it made no effect to the phobias. So I looked around for another way and decided to train, so I could understand the process more.
It was in 2007 as I trained in Solution Focused Hypnotherapy at The Clifton Practice Bristol, I was able to overcome my driving phobia, but also fear of needles, blood, balloons, and spiders. I have since been featured in the book, How to Overcome Fear of Driving: The Road to Driving Confidence and The Daily Telegraph.
In 2020 I published my first book “Driving me crazy – overcome the fear of driving”
Other courses and organisations
Since then I have also added Cognitive behavioural therapy, DBT, NLP, Mindfulness, coaching, nutrition and BWRT to my toolbox and became a supervisor for the NCH and AfSFH in 2010. That was a busy year as I was also involved in setting up – The Association for Solution Focused Hypnotherapy. – Its journal editor for 5 years.
I was one of the first hypnotherapists to be accepted into the government created Complimentary Natural Healthcare Council too.
In 2016 I trained in Nutritional Therapy so I could work more closely with my weight loss clients and Fussy eating clients. Making sure they were eating the right balance of foods. Also that year she received the foundation certificate in Integrated Medicine from The College of Medicine. In 2017 I was accepted as Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine.
As a result of having a consultation with me, you will leave with an understanding of your problem from both a biological and psychological perspective. Consequently, you will gain a clear insight into the potential benefits of hypnosis and how you might feel about working with me. You will also have the opportunity to have all your questions answered.
Coaching and mentoring
I have also trained as a coach and a mentor for Oxfam. As well as being a supervisor/mentor for other hypnotherapists.
Continued Professional Development
- Hypnobirthing – Clifton Practice 2008
- Mindfulness and acceptance – Clifton Practice 2008
- SF Coaching in business – Clifton Practice 2009
- Drug and alcohol dependency – Clifton Practice 2009
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – Clifton Practice 2009
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy – Clifton Practice 2009
- The impact of hypnosis on pain & disease. – Clifton Practice 2010
- Supervisors course – Clifton Practice 2010
- Hypnotension – NCH 2011
- Coaching – The Coaching Academy 2012
- NCH extravaganza – NCH 2014
- Couples therapy – Human Givens College 2014
- Solution Focused Couples Therapy – 2014
- Research – Clifton Practice 2014
- Mentoring women back to work – Oxfam 2014
- NCH Extravaganza – NCH 2015
- Brain working recursive therapy – Terence Watts 2015
- Train the trainer – Knowledge Academy 2015
- NCH extravaganza – NCH 2016
- Working with children – Clifton Practice 2016
- Training Therapists in Social Media – FHT 2016
- Foundation course in Integrated Medicine – The College of Medicine 2016
- Pain Management – Dorothea Read Cardiff Hospital 2016
- Nutrition therapy – Oxford College 2017
- Science of the Initial Consultation – Clifton Practice 2018
- Dialectic Behavioural Therapy – Udemy 2018
- EMDR – LG training 2018
- Child development research 2019
- Research into driving-related anxiety 2019
- Developed Myths, Mysteries and Truths about hypnosis talk 2020 – FHT Oxfordshire
- Developed Marketing for Therapists 2020 weekend course + online
- PTSD – Andy Workman 2020
- PTSD – Dr Muss Rewind technique 2020
- Creating courses – Michael Brook
- Developed Exam Stress workshop online for students of Oxford International College
- Developed How to manage expectations for success talk for Oxford International College.
Workshops Delivered by Penelope Ling
- Confident Public Speaking – for Gordano School
- Make your brain work for you – Federation of Holistic Therapists
- Social Media for Therapists – Federation of Holistic Therapists
- Intermittent fasting and the psychology of eating – with David Perry
- Refocusing the mind – How to stop distraction – with Chris Jones – PA events.
- The myths and truths about Hypnosis.
- Preparing for exams – Various Oxford Colleges
- Marketing for therapists – for Natural Touch Therapies
I have been one of the “Ask the Experts” in the magazine Happiful and contributes tips on anxiety related problems.
I occasionally make appearances on BBC Radio Oxford on shows such as Malcolm Boyden’s Valentine’s show where I talked about phobias – and fear of commitment.
On Kat Orman’s lunchtime show we talk about current news stories such as hugging and the importance of Oxytocin. I have also been on BBC Radio Somerset talking about motivation, and National BBC radio talking about phobias.
I have also appeared on Oxford TalkTV Channel 8 talking about uses of hypnotherapy. The difference between a hypnotherapist and a stage hypnotist.
A variety of national newspaper articles have been written about me, including one on my driving phobia and experience with living with someone with sleep apnoea.
Codes of conduct & ethics
I am or have been a member of the following professional bodies:
- Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine.
- The College of Medicine
- The Complimentary Natural Healthcare Council
- The National Council for Hypnotherapy
- The Association for Solution Focused Hypnotherapy
A large number of clients come as a result of referrals and having heard me talk on BBC Radio about mental health issues. Or have read my name in newspaper articles about driving confidence. Many will be local to Oxford, but since Covid and working mostly online, I have clients from all over the UK, especially London, and further afield such as Dubai and France.
In 2015 she was interviewed by Talk Oxford, the local TV channel about the work she does.
Please give me a call or email me so we can start making the changes in your life you need – to make it better.
I look forward to hearing from you.