Back in 2001, Penelope Ling was working in the IT industry developing e-commerce sites. It was the time of the “dot com bubble burst” and along with many other co-workers was under an enormous amount of stress. During this time Penelope tried hypnotherapy as a means of controlling that stress. Over the course of 3 years, she researched the different forms of hypnosis. One of the main problems Penelope had was a phobia of driving, there had been many near misses and she felt completely unable to drive and often had panic attacks. Penelope tried analytical hypnotherapy first but it made no effect to the phobias.
It was in 2007 as she trained in Solution Focused Hypnotherapy at The Clifton Practice Bristol, and was able to overcome her driving phobia, but also fear of needles, blood, balloons, and spiders. She has been featured in the book, How to Overcome Fear of Driving: The Road to Driving Confidence and The Daily Telegraph.
Other courses and organisations
Since then Penelope Ling also added Cognitive behavioural therapy, DBT, NLP, Mindfulness, coaching, nutrition and BWRT to my toolbox and became a supervisor for the NCH and AfSFH in 2010. That was a busy year as she was also involved in setting up – The Association for Solution Focused Hypnotherapy. – Its journal editor for 5 years, she was one of the first hypnotherapists to be accepted into the government created Complimentary Natural Healthcare Council. In 2016 Penelope started to train in Nutritional Therapy so she could work more closely with my weight loss clients and food phobic clients. Making sure they were eating the right balance of foods. Also that year she received the foundation certificate in Integrated Medicine from The College of Medicine. In 2017 Penelope Ling was accepted as Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine.
As a result of having a consultation with her, you will leave with an understanding of your problem from both a biological and psychological perspective. Consequently you will gain a clear insight into the potential benefits of hypnosis and how you might feel about working with me. You will also have the opportunity to have all your questions answered.
Coaching and mentoring
Penelope has also trained as a solution focused psychotherapist, coach and a mentor for Oxfam. As well as having completed relationship coaching programmes through Human Givens and Elliot Connie. Helping couples work through their problems without the need of marriage guidance therapy.
Today she works from a variety of clinics in Oxford, Abingdon, Kingston Bagpuize and Bampton.
Continued Professional Development
- Hypnobirthing – Clifton Practice 2008
- Mindfulness and acceptance – Clifton Practice 2008
- SF Coaching in business – Clifton Practice 2009
- Drug and alcohol dependency – Clifton Practice 2009
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – Clifton Practice 2009
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy – Clifton Practice 2009
- The impact of hypnosis on pain & disease. – Clifton Practice 2010
- Supervisors course – Clifton Practice 2010
- Hypnotension – NCH 2011
- Coaching – The Coaching Academy 2012
- NCH extravaganza – NCH 2014
- Couples therapy – Human Givens College 2014
- Solution Focused Couples Therapy – 2014
- Research – Clifton Practice 2014
- Mentoring women back to work – Oxfam 2014
- NCH Extravaganza – NCH 2015
- Brain working recursive therapy – Terence Watts 2015
- Train the trainer – Knowledge Academy 2015
- NCH extravaganza – NCH 2016
- Working with children – Clifton Practice 2016
- Training Therapists in Social Media – FHT 2016
- Foundation course in Integrated Medicine – The College of Medicine 2016
- Pain Management – Dorothea Read Cardiff Hospital 2016
- Nutrition therapy – Oxford College 2017
- Science of the Initial Consultation – Clifton Practice 2018
- Dialectic Behavioural Therapy – Udemy 2018
- EMDR – LG training 2018
Workshops Delivered by Penelope Ling
- Confident Public Speaking – for Gordano School
- Make your brain work for you – Federation of Holistic Therapists
- Social Media for Therapists – Federation of Holistic Therapists
- Intermittent fasting and the psychology of eating – with David Perry
- Refocusing the mind – How to stop distraction – with Chris Jones – PA events.
She occasionally make appearances on BBC Radio Oxford on shows such as Malcolm Boyden’s Valentine’s show where I talked about phobias – and fear of commitment.
On Kat Orman’s lunchtime show we talk about current news stories such as hugging and the importance of Oxytocin. I have also been on BBC Radio Somerset talking about motivation, and National BBC radio talking about phobias.
Penelope Ling has also appeared on Oxford TalkTV Channel 8 talking about uses of hypnotherapy. The difference between a hypnotherapist and a stage hypnotist.
A variety of national newspaper articles have been written about her, including one on her driving phobia and experience with living with someone with sleep apnoea.
Codes of conduct & ethics
She is or have been a member of the following professional bodies:
- Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine.
- The College of Medicine
- The Complimentary Natural Healthcare Council
- The National Council for Hypnotherapy
- The Association for Solution Focused Hypnotherapists
Her clients come from all walks of life – in Oxford. She see children over 9, students, employees and professors from Oxford University. In Abingdon, many of her clients work in the science parks dotted around the area. including Didcot and Milton Park. Around Bampton, it tends to be RAF personnel from Brize Norton, sports and horse riding related issues.
A large number of clients come as a result of referrals and having heard Penelope talk on BBC Radio about mental health issues. Or have read her name in newspaper articles about driving confidence.
In 2015 she was interviewed by Talk Oxford, the local TV channel about the work she does.
Please give me a call or email me so we can start making the changes in your life you need – to make it better.
I look forward to hearing from you.